Monday, February 20, 2012

Two fish by sea

I read once that the greatest feeling in the world is not love, nor is it happiness. The greatest feeling in the world is gratitude. 

The minutes, hours, days and weeks following Brian's birth have been filled with moments of gratitude. To God, to Kevin and in this time where my own style of parenting is being established and tested, to my parents.

No words are enough to describe the lengths my parents have gone to in order to support me--not just in this pregnancy and post-partum period, but throughout my entire life and my worst moments. It's somewhat cheesy, but I hope I can walk in their footsteps and be an example of love to my own children. 

How do you express a gratitude that has built up over a lifetime? Like the little drummer boy, I have no gifts big enough to bring. Instead, the first bits of art I'm posting on my blog are the ones I made for my parents during that crazy, sleepless post-partum period. Small things, but I think they understand my meaning. 

For my father.

For my mother.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails."
- 1 Corinthians 13

3 comments:

  1. Thanks schenphoto :). I loved your Isaiah blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so beautiful - i think what you made your parents is so meaningful!

    ReplyDelete